A 39-year-old man has been sent to prison after pleading guilty to a campaign of sexual abuse against a young girl in Northampton.
Charles Devlin, previously of Northampton, began abusing the girl when she was just ten-years-old.
This lasted until the girl was 13 at which point she bravely told an adult what was happening and Devlin was arrested.
He was subsequently charged with three counts of rape and after pleading guilty to the offences at Northampton Crown Court, he was sentenced on May 5, 2022, to 15 years and nine months in prison with an extended licence of five years.
He was also handed an indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO) and will be on the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.
Lead Investigator – DC Dan Hayes from Northamptonshire Police’s Child Protection Team, said: “This young girl has shown immense courage throughout the whole investigation and court process, and I am in awe of her bravery.
“It takes a phenomenal amount of courage for a child to speak up about abuse and to speak out against their abuser.
“I hope this case demonstrates that that when we do receive these types of reports, that we take them very seriously, and will do everything we can to ensure justice gets served.
“I also hope the conclusion of this case allows this young girl to move forward with her life, one that is now free of Charles Devlin, and onto brighter things.”
At sentencing, His Honour Judge Herbert, addressing Devlin, said: “In my view you have no understanding of the harm you have caused. The victim has been left traumatised by your conduct and you pose a significant risk.”