Downing Street Press Briefing Summary
Johnson cancels Christmas for millions in London and the South East
A summary from todays Downing Street Press Briefing:
- The total number of lab-confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK has now passed more than two million since the outbreak began, according to the Government’s dashboard.
- The new variant strain of the virus which causes Covid-19 may be up to 70% more transmissible and could increase the R value by 0.4
- London and large areas of south and eastern England will enter a new “Tier 4” lockdown from Sunday, with non-essential retail closed and Christmas bubbles cancelled due to concerns around the spread of the new coronavirus variant.
- The festive bubble policy across Tier 1, 2 and 3 areas of England will be dramatically scaled back to just Christmas Day
- The Prime Minister said: “We are sacrificing the chance to see our loved ones this Christmas so we have a better chance of protecting their lives so that we can see them at future Christmases”.
- 350,000 people in the UK have so far received their first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine,
Published: by Radio NewsHub