On Air

The Big Saturday Night Show with Craig Pilley

Home
  • Home
  • National
  • First case of coronavirus in Wales as two more in England confirmed

First case of coronavirus in Wales as two more in England confirmed

28 February 2020 National


First case of coronavirus in Wales as two more in England confirmed First case of coronavirus in Wales as two more in England confirmed

The first case of coronavirus has been confirmed in Wales, as two more were identified in England – bringing the total number in the UK to 19. On Friday morning, chief medical officer for Wales Dr Frank Atherton confirmed a person had been diagnosed with the virus after travelling back to Wales from Italy.

He said: "I can confirm that one patient in Wales has tested positive for coronavirus (Covid-19).

"All appropriate measures to provide care for the individual and to reduce the risk of transmission to others are being taken.

"I can also confirm that the patient had travelled back to Wales from northern Italy, where the virus was contracted.

"I'd like to take this opportunity to assure the public that Wales and the whole of the UK is well prepared for these types of incidents."

The Department of Health confirmed two further cases of coronavirus in England.

Both English patients contracted the virus in Iran, chief medical officer Professor Chris Whitty said.

The total number of cases in England is now at 17, and the first case in Northern Ireland was confirmed on Thursday.

Published: by Radio NewsHubOriginal Article


Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *